Advanced Lesson 003

Démarré par Thomas, 22 Juil 2007 21:44

« précédent - suivant »

Thomas

Je viens de mettre Advanced Lesson 003 en ligne; elle parle des sports aux USA, et aujourd'hui on discute de notre premier "Current Event" (événement actuel)! Comme toujours, je voudrais bien avoir votre feedback, sur n'importe quoi. J'espère que vous avez tous passé un bon week-end!

-Thomas
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

rosee

This lesson was very nice  ;) I'm really found of sports so I really loved it!
I was a bit surprise that Soccer is more popular in the US than Athletics or Figure skating

Freddyben

Hey Thomas,
I did love this podcast too, I just didn't get the pronounciation of "ad lib" (as I read on the show note) but which I reckon you pronounced as "af lib" and I assume that an ad lib is a famous sportman who does a lot of commercial (like advertising?).
I didn't get what means exactly : do it on the fly, is it like "le faire vite fait"
In my opinion Americans want to be different than other countries in the world so they don't watch soccer as much as we do but I'm sure if they'd do it they'd be very good, no doubt.

Stevens

Thomas

Well, rosee, figure skating is mostly popular during the Olympics, so sometimes people watch it, sometimes they don't. What do you mean by athletics, track and field?

To do something "on the fly" means to do it without any preparation. It's basically the same as "ad lib" or "improvise".  I checked my pronunciation of ad lib, too, and I say it correctly, but it is a little fast, and I was kinda breathing at the same time, so that might be why it sounds funny. But "ad lib", "improvise", "do it on the fly" all mean to do something without preparation; or to do something without doing a practice run first.

Are Americans any good at soccer? Like I said, I don't really know...

rosee

Freddyben

Oh! I understand ;), I was confused between ad-lib and af lead. By the way what is the proper translation of an "af lead" ?
And thanks for these very useful informations.

Thomas

Af lead? I don't think I've ever heard that before...where did you see/hear it?

And the athletics from that site I would call "track and field" myself -- according to one page of their site (http://www.iaaf.org/theSport/whatisathletics/index.html) it includes track and field as well as various types of running.

pierre

Citation de: rosee le 24 Juil 2007 09:32
This lesson was very nice  ;) I'm really found of sports so I really loved it!
I was a bit surprise that Soccer is more popular in the US than Athletics or Figure skating

I'm really fond of sports... ;)
Mieux vaut un pilote plein qu'un réservoir vide!

Freddyben

Hey Thomas,
I thought you said this on your advanced lesson n°3, it's between 9'06 and 9'08 if you want to check it out. :)

Thomas

Ooooh, I see. I said "athletes" there, actually. It does sound a little bit like it has an "f" in there, but it's an unvoiced "th"-- the sounds of the unvoiced "th" and "f" are pretty similar sounding sometimes.

I should probably do a few lessons about pronunciation and the sounds of English, huh :P

Freddyben

I would dream of it Thomas ;)

pjturpeau

Bonjour,

J'arrive longtemps après la bataille, mais il n'est jamais trop tard. Il y a un mot ou une expression dont je n'arrive pas à saisir la prononciation et donc également le sens dans ce podcast. Ce mot ou cette expression apparaît plusieurs fois dans le podcast. La première fois c'est vers le 2'03 "cur??? topic", ensuite vers 2'16 "...going on in usa yy?? cur???..." puis vers 2'19 "it's hard to pick up cur???", etc...

Please help, j'aimerais comprendre !  ???

regards,
pj

Florence

je crois que c'est "current event"...

pjturpeau

Citation de: Florence le 02 Juil 2008 15:19
je crois que c'est "current event"...

oui c'était effectivement une option à laquelle j'avais pensé mais la prononciation très brève et rapide de current et le premier e de "event" qui paraît complètement masqué m'avait fait grandement douté.

merci.