Expressions 01

Démarré par Thomas, 07 Août 2007 09:16

« précédent - suivant »

Thomas

Je viens de mettre Expressions 01 en ligne. C'est la première leçon qui parle des expressions et de l'argot, quelque chose dont beaucoup de personnes m'ont parlé. Alors, écoutez-la et dites-moi ce que vous en pensez! Je crois que ce format marche bien, mais sinon, je pourrais le changer sans problème.

-Thomas
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Freddyben

Hi Thomas I just listened to the podcast, there are a few things I wanna say:
Actually in French we can say the expression "réfléchir à deux fois à quelque chose" that's totaly common;

"right n' left" I reckon could be translated by "un peu partout" and you could hear a colloquial expression as "à gauche à droite" like in the sentence "il va travailler à gauche à droite" but I don't think you could see that in written French;

My feeling tells me that "off the top of head" could be translated easly by "comme ça" as we say often " comme ça, je (ne) me rappel pas de son numéro de téléphone" it's of course an-everyday-spoken-French and it gives a felling of bewilderment (perplexité/hésitation);

"Clair comme de l'eau de roche" is clearly a common French expression and I think it could be translated by "crystal clear" but I don't think we could use it in the sentence : "la lettre était claire comme de l'eau de roche" it just doesn't sound right to me, I would rather say in this case "la lettre était parfaitement claire". At opposite it sounds perfectly correct to say it for an explanation like in this following sentence : "l'explication était claire comme de l'eau de roche !" otherwise you can easly say "l"explication était limpide !" which pretty much means the same thing but "clair comme de l'eau de roche" is an expression.
I mean I don't think that "clair comme de l'eau de roche" means that there are no mistakes (like in a letter). No it's just that it's surely and definitly easy to understand, it can't make no doubt, another example "les instructions étaient clair comme de l'eau de roche, il s'est mis à la tache tout de suite et sans broncher (sans faire de commentaires)".

I hope it makes sense to you, don't hesitate to ask me any question about this explanation, I know it can be hard to understand. :)

Bettina

Hello Thomas,
I really liked your last pod-cast. I gonna listen it often.
There is only one, I does not understand not yet :  "off the top of my head"  ??? :P
So I was very impressed by it but I think it's just a bit too short . Time goes over too quick when it's interesting. That's why I hope it should be possible to record much more like this. ;)
bye

mamour

Hello Thomas!!!and bravo for your work and for your lesson.(she or it!I have a doubt!)was so interresting!!there are so many expressions!!I saw one,not a long time ago "it rains cats and dogs"!! that means"il pleut des cordes"that's it? anyway thank you!!!
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Freddyben

And Thomas I forgot to tell you : It's true your podcast was very usefull and pleasurable, thank you indeed. :)

mamour

there is an expression that I like,this is "what the hell is this"!! or damn!!!
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

John Doe

Who the hell are you?

I'm you, I'mm your shadow!

(c) Metal Gear Solid.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be.

Vanessa

Hi Thomas, I am newbie with your podcast but I enjoyed this topic. Congratulation!!

I just want to react to it. In my opinion, "off the top of my head" could be translate into french by "à priori".

Thomas

Welcome to the forum, Vanessa! :)
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.