The "Matériels" Page

Démarré par Thomas, 31 Juil 2007 08:33

« précédent - suivant »

Thomas

Ok...I think that ever since this podcast started, this name of this page has been doomed. Originally it was "Matériaux", which I was told meant things used to build stuff, or something like that, and that the word "Matériels" would be better for documents and worksheets and such. However, I still recieve probably at least one email a week saying that I should rename this page. The most recent one said that matériels is only for things that can be touched, and suggested "Documents", "Supports Textes", or "Supports Écrits." I personally feel that anything with "Support" in it implies much more than written materials. And given the difficulty I seem to have coming up with worksheets...I don't see anything other than written materials being there for a while. And as for "Documents"...it just feels too literal to me; I like the idea, but I don't think that people would click "Documents" to find help.

What do you guys think? Do I really need to change it?  ??? And if so, what should I change it to?
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Freddyben

Hi Thomas I just went to the French itunes store and there's a tab reading "support", in it you have different kind of materials : written, downloads and there could be audio "support" too like in your website. Basically a "support" is an aid with different kind of materials in it or just one kind of. I don't think it especially means more than this. This term sounds to me to be the more logical. But in French I wouldn't put "matériels", that's for sure.

Thomas

The only reason I hesitate with the word "Support" is because to me, from the English use of the word, it means assistance when there is a problem. Does the word imply any sort of problem in French?

Freddyben

Ok I see now, you're right, a support in French is like in English; an assistance when there is a problem, that's the case in the French itunes, so indeed don't put this word but I think you can use the word "documents", it fits pretty well because there are just documents in it (I was wrong the last message I thought there were audio tracks). It wouldn't shock me at all.

Thomas

Ok, well, I suppose Documents will work. I get lots of emails saying that Matériels isn't the right word, and if nothing else, it will fix that! ;D I'll put it on the list of changes I need to make.

Flo

oui, je pense aussi qu'il faudrait changer le mot "matériels", documents écrits, textes, supports écrits, références... mais ce n'est qu'un détail, toujours bravo pour ton professionalisme et ta courtoisie. Bonne continuation et à un de ces jours peut-être.... amicalement Flo