Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

what means?

Démarré par mamour, 17 Août 2007 17:55

« précédent - suivant »

mamour

what the sentence means:the game is a itchy foot?
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Bettina

I'm sure there are members who know the answer. ;)

mamour

I hope too Bettina!!!

Argaz

I don't know, but I think by translating in French (Le jeu est un pied irritant), that meaning of this sentence tell that a player, when he begin to play and he love this and then he will want to win. As from this moment, he just think about win and how he will win.
And so, he cannot think in another thing, the game take all the place in his life.
I make this supposition, because I know a lot of people that can play the game : "second life", and all of them tell me about this game  it's like a drug.

But, I think there are other members here know the answer. I just did a supposition.

Bettina

It's always good to try. Perhaps you're right?  ???
I found only the translation for the word: itchy- bougeotte (tient pas en place) et aussi qui démange

Thomas will know what it means exactly!

mamour

Hi kate!!!I heard it in House Md!!!

Thomas

Hm...I'm with Kate on this one, I have no idea what this means. However, after doing some research, here is what I found:

CitationIn the episode "Whac-A-Mole", House challenges his team to a game, and places what he says is the right answer in an envelope on which was written "The game is an itchy foot," which is a play on "The game is afoot," a quote often attributed to Holmes (who was in turn quoting Shakespeare (Henry V))
(found here)

The Holmes they are referring to is Sherlock Holmes, a famous fictitious detective. The expression "the game is afoot" means that the game is currently happening. It's not a very common expression to say something is "afoot" but you hear it every once in a while. (Also, I don't know how accurate their etymology is -- what they said contradicts what I saw in other places.)

So in conclusion, they are simply making fun of the expression "the game is afoot" :P
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Bettina

Oh my lord, I hope I will never have to use this expression. It's quite complicate :-\ :D

Thomas

I don't think I ever use it -- some expressions you just need to know so you can understand them, and I think this is one of them ;)
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Bettina

mamour

thanks for your answerThomas and for the link.I like Hugh laurie and House Md.He cracks me up