Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

the word "plus"

Démarré par Thomas, 27 Août 2007 04:28

« précédent - suivant »

mamour

Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

mamour

Thomas is going to be absolutly lost!!!

Alfast

Je me posais une question, pouvez vous me trouver en anglais une phrase négative où on utilise le 'plus" sans prononcer le "S" ?
Apprendre c'est faire le choix d'évoluer

mamour

nous n'avons plus d'eau chaude!!

mamour

est ce que cà te vas ?

Alfast

non ce que je veux savoir en fait c'est si en anglais plus peut être utilisé négativement comme en français, ce qui m'étonnerais, donc en anglais il n'y a pas de problème de prononciation, puisque le plus est toujours utilisé pour un ajout, n'est-ce pas ?

mamour

qd tu dis plus tu veux dire + et pas plu ?

Alfast

le premier plus de mon post n'aime pas son S et le deuxième ne peux pas s'en passer  ;)

mamour

excuse me I didn't see you wrote une phrase en anglais :-\

Martin

Citation de: Alfast le 30 Août 2007 14:00
le premier plus de mon post n'aime pas son S et le deuxième ne peux pas s'en passer  ;)
Joli très joli lol  ;D

Alfast

Can you use "plus" in english for a negative phrase ? Like in french "je n'en veux plus". If you have not understanden, I should you to forget this question.

mamour

I don't want water anymore

Alfast

It's a stupid question, forget this

mamour

yes I noticed too  ;D :P

Thomas

Hm...well, no, it's not a stupid question. I don't think there are any cases in English where "plus" makes the phrase negative. In English it is typically used in the following fashions...

Three plus five is eight. (addition)
It's a TV plus a DVD player. (meaning "as well as" or "and also")
I was upset because I had lots of homework, plus my dog ate my favorite shoe. (meaning "and also")

Those are the most common uses of "plus" in English. I can't think of any time when it means something negative like in French. We use the word "anymore" to represent a sentence like "Je ne regarde plus la télé" -- I don't watch TV anymore.

does that answer your question ??? And the s is always pronounced, and it's always an "s" in English.

As for the rest of the posts, no, I'm not lost at all! It's interesting to see you guys go back and forth talking about it, and it made it really easy to learn when to pronounce it with an "s" (at least hopefully!)
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.