Animals Sounds

Démarré par mannimal, 29 Mai 2007 08:28

« précédent - suivant »

mannimal

It seems that the animals don't say the same thing for an english and for a french...

Cat - Meow
Dog - Ruff or Bow Wow or Woof
Rooster - Cock-a-Doodle-Do
Chicken - Cluck Cluck
Duck - Quack Quack
Pig - Oink Oink
Cow - Moo
Goose - Honk Honk
Bird - Chirp chirp or Tweet Tweet
Frog - Ribbit (this one is croa croa?)
Donkey - Hee Haw
Sheep - Baa Baa
Crow - Caw Caw

My favorite it's the rooster and you ?

PascalBXL

Indeed, the "cock a duddle do" seems the best!
I also like the frog's one...
Your message was more instructive that you thought (may be). I dont knew all of this english names of animal. Just for fun, I wrote for example "goose" in Google on image search, and I saw a lot of geese!

Thank you

Thomas

Haha, yes, frogs say ribbit. They also say "croak croak" which is more like French. Don't forget the owl, who goes "hoot hoot". My personal favorite is the duck, actually.
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

mannimal

PascalBXL : I try to post message instructive and a little fun.
I had thoughts about a little note about animals but I didn't know that goose had an irregular plurial.
Maybe somebody could make a post about irregular plurial. It will be interesting.

Thomas : It's right that all animals "say" ?
Or it's as in french, there is a word for each animal.

Thomas

Some of the plurals for animals are strange: goose, like you said, changes to geese. Mouse (souris) changes to mice. Moose (élan) and deer (cerf), however, are the same for singular and plural: moose and deer. I'm sure there are more I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Well, yes, animals can "say", but they usually "go" their sound. Read my earlier post and you'll see how I said "...the owl, who goes hoot hoot." So a cat goes meow, a dog goes woof woof, a duck goes quack quack, etc.

However, there are also individual words for every animal, just like in French. These words are really easy if you know the sound, because they're the same! For example, the cat meows, the dog barks, the duck quacks...this even works for the rooster: the rooster cock-a-doodle-doos, and the cow moos.

So you have the following options...
-The cat goes meow.
-The cat says meow.
-The cat meows.

I believe that using the verb itself ("to meow") or the verb "to go" along with the sound are the most common patterns.
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

mannimal

OK, thank you very much.