Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

got?

Démarré par nicolas, 05 Mar 2008 19:47

« précédent - suivant »

nicolas

bonjour a tous!

quand emploie t on "got" ?

nicolas

n'y a t il donc personne?

John Doe

Devil may cry 4

"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal, and it's beginning to piss me off."

J'aime bien cette phrase. :D
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be.

mamour

american use it every where and all the time!! :D
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

nicolas

oui mais quand l'employer?

patard

I think that when you give an information , and just at the end , you say: get it? . It means : do you understand.
I like the expression of John Doe too.
I am not sure that translation is the best way to learn english , or any other language .
You may borrow in a librairy some bilingual novel.
There is a very good novel "Animal farm" from "George Orwell". There is a bilingual edition , folio,  gallimard . If you can't borrow it , you can buy it . It is a pocket edition , not very expensive . This novel is not very long ,and not very hard to understand .
Some bilingual are very hard.
It is a good way to improve your english ; and to wait a answer from somebody.
You are certainly very kind , but all of us have ours own occupations
Regards

patard

an other idea to get information about got:
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/got
some phrases are difficult to understand , but some are clear , and you can improve your knowledge of the use of got.
Anyway it is an irregular verb
to get, Igot, got
I like the english dictionnary www.wordreference . When I find a word that I don't know , I prefer to go in this dictionnary than to an english french dictionnary.
If I cannot understand then I go to an english french dictionnary

Thomas

i've been trying to come up with a good answer, but the simple fact is: "got" has a lot of different uses! here are a few of them, but just remember this is not all of them! (maybe we should start a sticky thread with different uses of got, this is a question i get a lot by email...)

a grammar point: the past participle is sometimes "got" and sometimes "gotten" -- personally, i say "i've gotten" but many people say "i've got"

meanings:

• to receive: I got a letter two days ago.
  • to understand: [an explanation of something]...do you get it? (thank you patard)
  • to have: "You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal, and it's beginning to piss me off." (thank you John Doe) (note: technically, this should be "you've got" but it is very casual so the "have" gets dropped -- actually a very common use)
  • to be/become: as in my sentence above, "...so the 'have' gets dropped[/i]

the verb "to get" is one of the most difficult verbs in english, and i think it's best to learn it by examples, because there's simply a huge number of uses for it! remember, most of the time when someone uses it, there is another way to say the same thing
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

patard

Afew sentences with got
Clover was a stout motherly mare approching middle life ,who had never quite got her figure afer her fourth foal.
Clover était une imposante jument au comportement maternel. Entre deux ages elle n'avait plus retrouvé sa jeune silhouette après la naissance de son quatrième poulain.
I got some chocolat
j'ai des chocolats
Pinched 'em and then gotin a bleeding funk
Il les a fauchés et il a pris une peur bleue

It's gota staircase two hundred years old
Elle a un escalier de deux cent ans

Have you got a better plan?
As tu un meilleur plan?

The gang's got to vote
Le gand doit voter

I have got to go to church
je dois aller à l'église

Good . You have just got to go wandering round now.
Bien tu n'as plus qu'à faire le tour maintenant.

slidertrilogy

but you could say got pr avoir and got pr aller???
I dont understand...

celia

Citation de: John Doe le 11 Mar 2008 15:03
Devil may cry 4

"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal, and it's beginning to piss me off."

J'aime bien cette phrase. :D

Hello Jhon Doe,

Peut-être que j'aimerais aussi cette phrase ... if I would understand it.

Would you translate it for me and maybe for the other people, please.  Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day.

John Doe

Pas de soucis. ;)

"Tu as une notion "mot plus ou moins vulgaire" du fair play mon pote, et ça commence à me faire ch*er."
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be.

celia

Thank you John Doe, it is clear now.

Bye :)