Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

Some words to translate !

Démarré par Amokrane, 26 Mar 2008 23:39

« précédent - suivant »

Amokrane

Hello , i'm writing down a document in english and i wanted to ask about some word that i can't translate , first :

Véhicules utilitaires : should be utility vehicles ?
Véhicules particuliers : Individual vehicles ?

Thank your for helping me , other words and expressions are coming :D

Amokrane

Faire une promenade --> making a walk ? ( got it on reverso ) but i'm talking about cars is it right to say : we are using cars for making a walk ?

( i mean : faire une promenande en voiture )

It just seems to be weird like a contradiction in the sentence but who knows :p

Thomas

Utility vehicles is correct, but I would have to see the context for individual vehicles. My initial reaction is to say "personal vehicles" instead of individual.

faire une promenade is "to take a walk", not to make a walk. However, because you can't "walk" in a car (walk = marcher), you have to translate faire une promenade as "to take a trip". Thus, faire une promenade en voiture would be to take a trip by car :)

Also, for a quick lesson on phrasal verbs: "to take a trip" is the same as "to go on a trip".
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Amokrane

Oh yes , to take a trip .. !
thank you very much :)

( for : indivual vehicles , i was meaning : véhicules à usage particulier ..)

Thomas

See, particulier usually does translate to individual, yes, especially when it's used as a noun. The only reason I hesitate to translate it as "individual vehicles" is, well...if you really want to keep the word individual in there instead of personal, I might suggest "vehicles for  individual usage" (very true to the original French! ;) ).
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.