Americans and Soccer...

Démarré par Thomas, 31 Juil 2007 04:28

« précédent - suivant »

Thomas

If you've listened to Advanced Lesson 003, then you know that I talk about which sports are popular in the United States, and you also know that I presented two different common theories about why soccer is not as popular in the US as it is in other countries. The theories that I presented were, in short...

-Americans are not good at soccer, so we do not like it because we don't want to lose to other countires.
-Soccer is slow-paced, as far as scoring goes, and the games have fewer points than most other sports.

And there's been a little discussion here and there on the forum about soccer and America, but I recieved an email from bouletENanglais, and he has a different theory. To quote his email (which he gave me permission to do)...

CitationIn my opinion there is another reason. Indeed soccer is less adapt for business. A soccer match is composed to two half time of 45 minutes. A tv channel can only diffuse ads before and after each half time. Compare to basket ball or football it's very different. In a basket ball game you could diffuse ads all the time. During the seventh game of the final math, before the most important ball possession you could see ads. In soccer it's impossible. During 45 long minutes : No ads. Bad business for TV channels leads less tv diffusions. So a sport not present on Tv can't be popular.

This is, in my opinion, a really interesting take on the situation, and I personally think it might have some truth to it. (He also went on to say that soccer is popular with young people, which is very true, a lot of young people in the US do play soccer). What do you guys all think about it, and about those other two theories?
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Freddyben

I don't think this is right because football on TV in Europe is a huge business, it makes lots of money with advertising and chanels struggle to obtain the rights to broadcast football programs with millions and millions of euros on the table (more and more). But I think it's more of an historical reason; America always wanted to be different and unique from the other countries : that's the new world ! So it's not surprising they have different sports and they want to keep their differences like any proud country. :)

Freddyben

Now we have an overview from the inside, thank you... :)

mamour

in France,we have another sport "Rugby" who looks like more in your football,I think.Without the equipment!!
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

mamour

looks like more At* sorry!!

mamour

why do you say football even though(alors que) you don't play with your feet ?

Thomas

So you think it's more about traditions, then, Kate? That might be true. I think some other sports may vary in popularity based in region, too -- hockey, for example, is much more popular the farther north you go.

And that's a really good point, Freddyben. I suppose it does make a lot of money in other countries...

I looked up the history of football, and it seems that it came from rugby, which came from what we call soccer, so I think the name just stayed the same and the game changed. I read about it on Wikipedia, if you want to read the article. And your sentence is perfectly correct English.

bouletENanglais

For us, football seems rugby wich is the second most popular sport in France (and in England )
This sport is totally unkowned in US isn't it ?

Thomas, I believe you'll go to france on september, don't I ?
Because on september, will begin the rugby world cup in France.
It's great. It will be a big party  ;D

Thomas

Well, there are rugby teams on the college level, and perhaps more than that, but you're right, it's not very popular here.

And yes -- in fact, the day I'm coming is the 7th, which is the day that the rugby world cup starts, is it not?

bouletENanglais

Yeah that's right.
First match is France VS Argentina on september 07.

Where will you go in France ?
In fews tows there will be rugby world cup match.
Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Toulouse, Nantes,St Etienne, Lens, Bordeaux (my town  :o)

Thomas

Well, I'm going to Tours, but I'll be coming through Paris, and I'm sure it will be busy!

Bettina

Hi Thomas
How many time you will stay in France?

Flo

sport remained a good topic since the antiquity with the games of the stadium. Who does find the most interest,the spectators or the participants, or the organizaters and the media???
But  it is a good cause to gather people !!
Please, Thomas correct my sentences, they sound bad ! Bye