Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

expression2

Démarré par mamour, 25 Oct 2007 12:18

« précédent - suivant »

mamour

I've just listened the last lesson expression 2.There is a french expession "etre tout ouie"which is similar to "to be all ears" I think
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Thomas

What is the word "ouie" ? I've never seen it.

And you know, I'm always surprised at the large amount of expressions that seem to exist in several languages. I wonder if that means that those expressions are really old and come from an older language like Latin or something.
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Ben54

That means "hearing" (sense).

Thomas

Oh, like the 5 senses? How exactly do you pronounce it? Is it like "oui" or is it like "ou-i" (deux syllables) ???

Ben54

You pronounce "ou-i". Is it easy for american people ?

Thomas

Well, actually, words that have two vowels in a row like that are usually pretty easy for Americans to pronounce, because in American English we have a ton of vowels like that.

One example, however, of one that is actually difficult, for me at least, is the word "aeroport" -- because the English word airport is just two syllables, I always mispronounce "aeroport" and don't separate the "a" and the "e"

Ben54

Every language has many difficult words to pronounce. When they're speaking English, a lot of french people can be embarassed by many words.

Thomas

Well hopefully I'm helping a little bit with that :)

mamour

in fact we write "ouie" ouï
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Thomas

Ohhh, ok. That definitely makes it easier to know how to pronounc with the ï in there :)