Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

translation

Démarré par mamour, 06 Août 2007 21:00

« précédent - suivant »

mamour

In France we say"j'ai du mal à réflechir,à respirer,à dormir...do you translate that by I can't ?
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Freddyben

I think you could translate by "I have trouble sleeping, breathing, thinking". There may be other sentences depending on the context but I reckon this one is a good one in a general context. Thomas will tell us if I'm completly right. :)

Thomas

Yep, he's right :) Instead of "trouble" you can also say "a hard time" or "difficulty", but all three are perfectly correct and very common to hear!

"I have trouble thinking, breathing, sleeping..." <-- I'm hoping this came from a book!
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Freddyben

No worries Thomas I'm comletly healthy, I just keep on smoking but only for a few days (I guess :D).
Euh, by the way, it's good timing I wanted to ask you if I sould write full or completly in the above. ???

Thomas

Good to hear :)

Well, completely is an adverb, so you should say "I'm completely healthy" because "I'm healthy" is the basic sentence, using the adjective "healthy" and you are using the word "completely" to change the meaning of "healthy". The word "full", however, can sometimes (but not always) be used in the same place as the word "complete" (no -ly, so it's an adjective). For example...

I have the complete set. I have the full set.
(perhaps a set of books)

However, "complete" often means "finished" or "having all the pieces", so for example...

This puzzle is complete. (meaning it has all the pieces)
My task is complete. (meaning it is finished)

With these two sentences, you cannot use "full". On the other hand, "full" often means "filled" or "not able to hold more". For example...

I'm full. (meaning I cannot eat anymore)
The car is full (of gas). (meaning the car cannot hold more gas)

With these sentences, you cannot use "complete". Sometimes both definitions will work (as in a set of books -- it has all the pieces, and also it cannot hold any more), but often one is correct and one is not.
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

Freddyben

Thank you so much Thomas "c'est clair comme de l'eau de roche". It's an expression in French to say it's very very clear, so as you asked earlier for your next lesson, I would suggest you to teach us the expression they use in the US for this one. :P