Informal sentences and expressions...

Démarré par Bettina, 12 Août 2007 23:24

« précédent - suivant »

Bettina

Hi everybody,
often I hear simple sentences without knowing if it's common to use them or empathic? :-\
I give you an example:
                                  "Well it's pretty straightforward"

Could you help me please?

Freddyben

I think it could be "Eh bien, c'est plutôt franc !"

Bettina

In a podcast, he said that it means: "It's easy to understand or basic to use, it seams pretty simple..."
I don't like to use always the same words and so I ask me if it's a solution to say this simple sentence in another way.
But maybe you are right,too with your translation.
I appreciate your help, Freddyben. You're really fabulous! ;)

Freddyben

Oh stop I'm fluching  :) but I think both translations are right, Thomas will tell us the truth but what I'm sure is that I heard this a few times and it sounds pretty common to me, I reckon it describes a sens of "franchise, clareté".

Bettina

I'm fluchig ???
Could you tell me please what does it mean?

mamour

Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Bettina

Yes, you're probably right. I was far to think that. For the word "rougir" I found: blush (turn red)-crimson and to become red.
Since you told me that's perhaps the word (to flush) he wanted to say, I looked for this and I found effectively:  flush  (nf) - rougeur (rougissement) In this case you have reason.
Thanks Mamour, now it's clear! but does he want to say: I'm flushing? It's not sure. I still wait for his answer.

mamour

often,when we receive many compliments we say:arrete tu vas me faire rougir!!that's probably that he wanted to say :-\

Bettina

That's it. I hope he wanted to say that. ;)

mamour

Freddyben

Yeah sure I did guys, it's a kind of slang I think, I read it several times in a book written by an American author.
But to flush also means "tirer la chasse d'eau" but again we gotta look at the context to see what meaning is matching.

Freddyben

And I realize right now that in fact I did an orthograph mistake the first time I wrote "I'm flushing" it's clearly "flushing". Hey Thomas sould I say "a mistake of orthograph" or "an orthograph mistake" (I never know), thank you very much. ???

Bettina

Citation de: Freddyben le 14 Août 2007 16:35
Yeah sure I did guys, it's a kind of slang I think, I read it several times in a book written by an American author.
But to flush also means "tirer la chasse d'eau" but again we gotta look at the context to see what meaning is matching.

I imagine the situation... I understand "Je tire la chasse" but he means "Je rougis" or backword.This example is the best. I cannot stop laughing ! :D

In the future I will think twice to use "I'm flushing"

Freddyben

Oh but I guess you gotta say "I'm flushing the toilet" to say "tirer la chasse d'eau" and I understand why you laugh, although I don't think there is a big deal here and I wouldn't get stumped on it (confused).  8)

Bettina

That changes all ! but it was very funny... :D