Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

what means...

Démarré par mamour, 18 Sep 2007 18:39

« précédent - suivant »

mamour

Hi evry body!!! I've a question for all you!!!what means "pick me apart" ? thank you very much
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Freddyben

I have no idea, maybe "viens me chercher à l'écart". What context ?

Thomas

Um, well like Freddyben said, the context would help, but here's some examples...

"The bear really picked me apart" -- I am possibly now dead, as I was torn to pieces by a bear. In this case, "to pick apart" means "to divide into parts".

"In order to explain this sentence, I'm going to pick it apart." -- a less violent example of a similar meaning. I am going to explain each individual part of the sentence seperately. This case is also seen in a sentence like "I'm going to pick the computer apart" meaning that I will separate the pieces (so that I can understand what each of them does).

This use of "to pick apart" is often seen with the phrase "piece by piece", too, just fyi (for your information).

Another similar, but different meaning of "to pick apart" is to analyze critically. For example...

"The teacher really picked my research paper apart". -- The teacher showed me lots of mistakes in my paper.
"My friends picked apart the song I wrote" -- My friends (of course to try to help me :P ) told me all the parts of my song that they didn't like and what I could do to fix it.
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.