Nouvelles:

Bienvenue sur le Forum ! Retournez à AnglaisPod.com ?

Menu principal

subjonctif

Démarré par mamour, 09 Oct 2008 08:19

« précédent - suivant »

mamour

Hi Thomas!!!! is there a Subjonctif mode in English?
Je ne veux pas que vous manquiez la difference? :-\
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

John Doe

I'm no hero. Never was, never will be.

Thomas

Yes, in fact, there is a subjunctive! Unfortunately, it was not used very well. One of the most common examples is "I wish that I were..." -- normally, we say "I was", of course -- and it is used for similar reasons as in French, but the actual cases where you use it are different (sometimes -- some of them are the same).

I do plan on discussing it in several lessons some day, but if you have any specific questions in the meantime feel free to ask. Also, I read through that Wikipedia article (thanks John Doe :D ), it's pretty good at showing many of the different forms. In reality, many Americans do not use the subjunctive much, or use it incorrectly when they do :'(
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

mamour

thanks for your explanation!!!even if the john doe's explanation is a little bit complicated for my mind!!! :D

John Doe

It's not me, it's wikipedia! :D

Joëlle

Can I say ? : If I were you.... Si j'étais à ta place ou traduit littéralement "si j'étais toi"

John Doe

C'est un peu la même chose non? :D

Joëlle

Thomas

If I were you, that's a perfect example.

Here's the difference between "If I were you" and "Si j'étais à ta place", though:

English Past tense   English Subjunctive   French Past tense   French subjunctive
I wasI were*J'étaisJe sois
You wereYou wereTu étaisTu sois
He/She wasHe/She were*Il/Elle étaitIl/Elle soit
We wereWe wereNouse étionsNous soyons
Vous étiezVous soyez
They wereThey wereIls/Elles étaientIls/Elles soient

*notable differences between English past tense and subjunctive

Looking at the two languages, comparing the two conjugations, in French, it's super easy to tell if a verb is in imparfait or subjonctif. In English, because there are fewer conjugations for each verb, there are several overlaps between tenses, and this is one of them.

The "if + [hypothetical situation]" phrase takes a different mood in the two languages. In French, it takes the imparfait de l'indicatif. In English, it takes the present subjunctive. It's an interesting difference between the two languages ("interesting" at least if you enjoy grammar ;) ), and one worth noticing.

John Doe

Thx for the explanation  :)

Joëlle

Thank you Thomas for the comparaison of the tenses between French and English. It was very clear and useful for comprehension. And thanks a lot for the podcast " Expression 8". Have a nice day. Hope my encouragement will make your day... do you see what a mean ? ;)

mamour

thank you for your explanation  :D

Thomas

Haha, good one Joelle ;)