Expressions

Démarré par Freddyben, 19 Juil 2007 22:46

« précédent - suivant »

Freddyben

Hello everyone,
I'd like to suggest an idea to Thomas for the podcast : I reckon it'd be great to have a podcast about expressions used in USA, it's pretty fun and in the other hand it's very usefull because us Frenchies we pretty much tend to translate literally our own expressions and we need them often.
So this is a point but I'd like to share english expressions with all peoples here having a knowledge regarding this topic. I start with this one : "The apple never fall far away from the tree", which literraly means : la pomme ne tombe jamais très loin du pommier and I think it could be translated by "tel père tel fils" but I'm not sure, so Thomas could confirm.

Bonjour tout le monde,
Je voudrai soumettre une idée à Thomas pour le podcast : Je pense que ce serai super d'avoir un podcast qui parle des expressions utilisées aux USA, c'est plutôt amusant et d'un autre côté très utile parcque nous les Frenchies on a plutôt tendance à traduire littéralement nos propres expressions et on en a besoin souvent.
Donc ça c'est une chose mais j'aimerai échanger des expressions anglaises avec les autres personnes ici qui ont une connaissance sur ce sujet. Je démarre avec celle-ci : "The apple never fall far away from the tree" qui veut dire littéralement la pomme ne tombe jamais très loin du pommier et je pense que ça pourrai se traduire par "tel père tel fils" mais je ne suis pas sûr donc Thomas pourrai confirmer.

Thomas

Hi Freddyben, and welcome to the forum! (I know you've been here a little bit but still, hi :) )

I've actually been thinking about a way to handle slang and expressions, and I think I'm going to make a mini-series of podcasts out of them (the regular/intermediate/advanced lessons are the main series, and the mini-lessons and interviews are mini-series), because you're right, slang and expressions are very important! I remember reading your other post, where you said that you "swallowed it all" or something like that, and thinking to myself that that must be a French expression :p

And as for "tel père, tel fils", we have an expression which is almost identical, being "like father, like son". This is, like you said, pretty much the same as "The apple never falls far away from the tree."

If you guys have any other good expressions, either a French one you wanna know in English or an English one you don't understand, just list it here and I'm sure we can all figure something out! We had another thread like this before, and it was a good success, so this is definitely a good topic :D
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

mannimal

Hi Freddyben there are several expression in this topic -> http://anglaispod.com/forum/index.php?topic=12.0