Smoking

Démarré par Bettina, 03 Août 2007 16:01

« précédent - suivant »

Bettina

Hello everybody
Today I take a great decision! Tomorrow I will stop to smoke cigarettes. Don't laugh about. Life will be lousy for me for a longtime :'(. I don't know why I speak about that here but I feel that it help me to say it to you. There are members who will try to stop it, like me? ???

Bettina

Excuse me.
I realize the forum is not a corner to speak of problems personals. So forget what I said!
Bye

Freddyben

Hey good idea you have, I'll try to kick off smoking too in two weeks no more when I'll start playing handball, that will help me and I'll drink lots of water while doing as much exercice as I can. I quited smoking once during 2 months but I restarted when I got inrolled in a removals company with almost everyone smoking around me. That is nearly impossible to quite when you are in a smoking social environment, so this time I'll be in shape and motivated in earnest.
Good on you ! :)

Bettina

Nice to be understood, Freddyben.  You will feel quickly the difference in sport.
Tiens le coup! -(Hold the blow!- that's right?)  :D

Freddyben

Yeah I'd be quite interested to see whether or not "hold the blow" is correct but I feel like you're right. By the way keep me in the loop (tient moi au courant) of your successes against cigarette. I have my fingers crossed for you.  ;) I'll let you know too but still I savor (hope this one is right in this context) a few more cigarettes before I start making sport in two weeks. 8)

Bettina

I (will) keep you in the loop, Freddyben. I promise.  ;)

Freddyben

Thomas

Haha, don't worry about it Bettina! The General Discussion section is for talking about whatever you want -- anything is ok! :)

Hm...ok, well, Freddyben, I would say that "savor" is correct, but you need to say "I'll still savor" in that context. And as for "Tiens le coup!" you guys were close, but not quite there. There are actually several ways to say this in English..

"Hold on!"
"Hang in there!"
"Keep your chin up!" (because if your chin is down, then you are looking at the ground and you're acting like you're defeated)

Did you guys know that "French people smoke a lot" is an American stereotype of French people? I actually think that it's kind of silly, because a lot of Americans smoke, too... ???

Good luck to both of you with this -- I know it can be hard!
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

mamour

hi !! I don't smoke!!good luck to Freddyben and Bettina!!I know a ot of people who try to stop to smoke and they're successful!!aaahhhh Thomas that's a good décision or it's a good decision!!! ???
Make the most of yourself,for that is all there is of you.

Thomas

Well, both are ok, mamour -- this is just like the buying a new car example. If you use "it" you're talking about quitting smoking in general, and "that" means the decision of Freddyben and Bettina :P

Personally, I would say "That's a good decision!" because it makes more sense for you to talk about their decisions in this context.
Hello, and welcome to Apprendre l'anglais.
Bonjour, et bienvenue à Apprendre l'anglais.

nicolas

that's a great idea!

smoking is bad and stupid

you can call a state special number (tabac info service) if you need help

do NOT smoke only if you want to destroy yourself, other people and the Earth